Thursday, July 28, 2011

Is this thing on??

Well hello there, blogging world!  It's been quite a while... since the days of xanga, I believe.  (Does that even count?)  I won't tell you all how long I've been working on this thing, but it's been long enough that I am already unsure it's worth all the effort, before I've even submitted my first post.  But alas, my adoring fans have just been dying for me to share all the juicy details of my crazy, scandalous life as a stay at home mom (yes, that was sarcasm), so I shan't let them down.  Oh boy, did I just use "alas" and "shan't" in the same sentence?  This is going to be fun.

I suppose I should start by explaining the purpose of this blog and elaborate on its title, which I'm sure has some of you guessing.  I'll start with that.  I didn't want to use my real name for obvious reasons.  This blog is going to become very popular very quickly, and I just don't have time to deal with the damn paparazzi following me to Wal-Mart and the public library.  But why this specific name?

Well the first name, Sally,  is the name my dear, sweet husband has given to the version of me which is - how should I put this? - less than pleasant.  You know what I'm talking about, ladies.  We all have some sort of "evil twin" who comes out on the days when the hormones are rampant.  And I'm not just talking about a certain time of the month, either.  No folks, once you have a kid, Sally comes around whenever Sally pleases.  She eats all the ice cream and blames it on her husband, cries for no reason (truly! none at all!), and argues seemingly just to hear her own voice until, inevitably, she cries again.  Now I know this doesn't seem like something a wife would actually like to be called, but he uses it carefully; more to make me laugh and snap me out of it than to call me out when I'm driving the crazy train.  He knows much better than that.

I chose the last name, Sunrise, for a couple of reasons.  I originally thought of it because I quite enjoy a good Tequila Sunrise.  But then as I considered the names together - Sally Sunrise - it reminded me of that game kids play in elementary school to figure out what their "stripper name" would be.  There are lots of different ways to play:  your dog's name + the street you live on, your middle name + the town you were born in, your favorite candy + your best friend's name, etc.  Sally Sunrise sounds like a good, solid, elementary school stripper-game-name, and that just made me laugh.  And so she was born, my alter-ego: Sally Sunrise!  Pleasure to meet ya.  ;)

As for the purpose of this blog, I'd say it's mostly entertainment.  I enjoy writing, and this is a place where I can pretend to actually be good at it.  I know you all - my wonderful friends and family - will tell me that it's awesome, so who am I to argue?  I think it will be fun to share stories that might be a little too long for a facebook status, and I'm pretty stoked about the idea of having a place to be as cheesy, sarcastic and snarky as I like; this page is named after the crazy version of myself, after all!  Plus, there are two sets of grandparents out there who I know won't mind the extra pictures and details regarding a certain little someone.  ;)  So sit back, relax, and enjoy the occasional musings of Sally Sunrise!  Hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I love you Sally, even though I've never met "you" thank goodness! You're original self however, is one rad chic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! I love Sally Sunrise, for so many reasons!! hahaha! This is gonna be soo good... I think you ar emy souly for so many reasons!! : )

    ReplyDelete