Thursday, November 3, 2011

ALL THE TIME: Day 2

Today, friends, I'm really missing music.  Singing has always been an outlet for me; a way to release my worry and stress and just let it all fly away.  Unfortunately, nearly all of my opportunities to embrace this outlet have dried up lately.  The praise group I used to jam with is no more, and I am unable to attend choir rehearsals now that my hubby has night class at the same time.  I miss it terribly, and it's definitely contributed to my current state of mind. (re: "in a funk")  So in light of the challenge at hand, I've been thinking- what about "I miss music" can I possibly be thankful for??  For starters, I'll go with the obvious:  I'm so thankful to be blessed with the gift of music at all!  I'm thankful for ears that can hear it, and a spirit that understands it.  And I certainly don't mean to toot my own horn - I am no Adele - but I am very thankful that I can carry a tune.  These sentiments don't really help broaden my scope of thankfulness though because they are, frankly, generic.  Of course I'm thankful that music exists and I can hear it.  But what can I focus on that might turn my "I miss music" complaint into an "I LOVE music!" exclamation?   As I pondered this question, I kept coming back to this, and it is certainly something worth remembering:  The last time that I did have the opportunity to collaborate with some fine artists and create a moving sound it was, well, moving.


Back in July, I was blessed to participate in an event for The Crossroads Program- a sobriety program for young people and their families.  The concert,  held at Sandstone Amphitheater, was a celebration of how far the participants had come since entering the program.  Several members of our church choir sang with the headlining band, made up completely of Crossroads participants and lead by the program director.  Standing on that stage, looking out into the faces of joyful, hopeful, recovering addicts and their proud, supportive families was one of the most heart-stirring moments of my life.  And though everyone was soaked in sweat, the air was full of cigarette smoke, the amps were blaring and four-letter words were not off-limits, when it was over, a mother turned to me, eyes filled with tears and said, "This was church.  Tonight, we've just been to church."   And I knew she was right.








For the gift of music, for a spirit that appreciates it, for a heart that misses it, and for opportunities to share it, I thank God.  For the joy and hope of recovery, for heart-stirring moments, and for finding church in the least church-like of settings, I praise God. 
For He is good. 

HE IS GOOD, ALL THE TIME.
AMEN.


No comments:

Post a Comment